...without looking like an aged schoolgirl. Trickier than you might think. Do a search on any of a number of fashion community sites and there are very few people who can pull this look off with astounding effect.
By which I mean those rare persons who wear the socks, rather than the socks wearing them. Their style is so natural that you don't notice the socks immediately. The whole outfit works in complete harmony - a walking piece of art. Which is how I see fashion anyway, and why I include it here in my blog. It's just another category of art and design in my opinion.
Looking around various fashion and street style blogs I started to notice the sock trend. After a substantial amount of time seeing footless and cut-off leggings and tights - I was delighted by the (rather obvious) backlash in the opposite direction. I'm quite taken with the look and wonder if I can pull it off. Well of course I, and everyone, can! It's just a matter to seeing what works and what doesn't. So I bring you a selection of my top favorites from Lookbook.nu, Flickr's Wardrobe Remix group and (my newest discovery) Chictopia.
Carrie.M; Marla.S; and OHayon.S all from Lookbook.nu
- A - What I love about Carrie's outfit is the mix of tough chic and slouchy comfort. It really tones down the socks - showing off her legs to greatest effect.
- B - This is a beautiful, classic look. The long coat gives added coverage (great when it's cold!) and the exquisite tailoring of all the items gives the socks real class.
- C - One-shoulder neck lines are making a comeback and this is a contemporary take with the over-knee socks. I could imagine this on a fashion editor.
Loou; joleenieweenie; and Loou again from Wardrobe_Remix on Flickr
- A - An easy look for anyone to create - a simple, feminine dress with short hemline and socks in a matching colour. The ballet flats give it a classic tone and the continuous hue is sleek and understated.
- B - One of my favorites! Most images I've come across have been neutral and dark shades. These tangerine socks go perfectly with the grey and black outfit and the matching clutch bag really make it shine.
- C - Another classic, feminine look with a 70's chic feel. Team a floral mini dress with tights (pick a colour from the pattern to match back with) and some trusty ballet flats.
BritUgly; Kora; and Annabel from ChictopiaSearch for over-knee socks or thigh-high socks and there are loads of results internationally - so shop around and find something perfect for you. Do you already wearing these socks? How do you like to wear them?
- A - Such a fabulous, grungy look. This is an outfit that BritUgly talks about as ideal for air travel. I love the sexy combination of over-size shirt and socks with the scarf and cute brogue heels.
- B - A sweet, casual look. I like the comfy skirt and top with the short toggle jacket and smart heels. The colours work nicely together and it's a great everyday look.
- C - Possibly the closest to the schoolgirl look here. The pleated skirt and t-bar shoes give it that feel - but the ruffle blouse and longer hemline on the skirt save it. A great look if you like to be girly and romantic.