Going through one of those down cycles at the moment. I've been fighting it - trying to stay positive. But like my flatmate said, I should just let it out and it will all pass. It's frustrating to go round in circles, never feeling like I make an progress. Which isn't true, I've come a bloody long way recently. But I'm only human, and sometimes life just gets the better of you.
Part of my down cycles are characterised by a lack on money. Now, money doesn't make me happy, but it does allow me to get things done and live my life the way that makes me happy. There are so many things I could achieve if only... But that's the nature of building your own business. It's stressful and hard work. But if you stick with it long enough it pays off - and I'm getting there!
Right now, my life would be made easier by a few things:
- A new battery for my laptop. I burnt out my original one and haven't replaced it since. So I've had to drag a power cord everywhere I go, which is starting to wear thin on my patience. A new battery would allow me to move around the house without hunting for available power sockets. Plus I tend to pack it in with whatever I'm doing because I can't move and continue elsewhere.
- New bedsheets. All my sheets are falling apart and looking very holey (and not in a pious way). Ikea do some nice combed cotton sheets for quite cheap - which would fit perfectly on the Ikea mattress I've got.
- Jumpers and Coat. I'd really love a nice, fitted, blue coat - maybe velvet. Something that isn't black and will keep me toasty warm against the cold wind. I could also use a heap of woolly jumpers to keep me warm - my cardigans just aren't going the distance between laundry days.
- Some nice flat shoes. I've got a lot of beautiful heels. I love them all. But now that I have a bike, which I need to ride everyday, I should really have some practical ballet flats. And not cheap shop ones which last 3 months tops either. Some proper, classic investment shoes.
- Pet basket. I've improvised a pet basket on the back of my bike, which Poe rides in. But it doesn't stand up to the weather that well, and is a little on the small side for his carrier. Plus it's secured with jockey straps and cable ties which are only just effective. I'm starting to see the virtues of a proper basket (with wire top), which can handle the rough and tumble, and pop Poe in without fuss. That would make mornings a lot less stressful.
- iMac. My little laptop has seen me through a lot. But I think the time has come to invest in a desktop - a huge screen to work on (saves zooming in, out, in, out...), and it can't come home with me. So I might actually be able to leave work at work and relax at home like I should.
- Health insurance. No matter how good we are at brushing out teeth and flossing, if you can't go to the dentist once a year for a check up and clean - then you're facing trouble down the track. Like a root canal and crown...and no money to pay the huge dental fees. Like me.
So, what would make your life easier?